Blog Update

Posted on Saturday, August 8, 2009

Well, I've finally gotten the site banner down and perfected. A huge thanks goes to Andrew Moore for designing it and making it (even though I dislike the french, they do have good taste.)

Recently there has been a lot of discussion over a post on a forum made by Kevin Tewart, basically hinting at Heavy Storm being banned and that blackwings are one of the top decks being played the most. Granted there has been a lot of s discussion among forums over whether Heavy should be banned or not.

Personally, I'm one of those whatever happens happens type of guys. I don't think Heavy Storm is the beacon of skilled cards in this game. Truth be told Heavy Storm being banned would be a shift in the metagame, and playstyles of people, but I think it would eventually even out. Going along with the trend of the last article goes my post that I made on a forum.

"The arguement that Heavy Storm provides skill for the game is flawed at best.

Last time I checked, counting cards is not skilled, its just counting cards. I think everyone knows that you can use Heavy Storm to get more than 1 card.

The thing that banning Heavy Storm would do would be opening up the real reason why setting so many cards at 1 time is bad. That reason is information.

Setting all of your cards is bad, not only because of Heavy Storm, but because you let your opponent know exactly what you have. For example, you set four out of six cards, I now know that I can probably beat you using monster attrition and my own backrow to destroy whatever threat your monsters can cause, now that I know you have at most possibly two monsters, I can use this information to my advantage and adjust my playstyle accordingly.

The truely skilled players will be able to use this information given freely by the opponent to their advantage. It happens now as well, my friend pounting this out to me while I was playing G-beasts, he said that if I set 3 cards (obviously one of them being solemn, like storm would be going through anyway) he could safely assume that one of those cards was something to protect the backrow (solemn) and two orther cards to support my monsters.

Now granted he was playing Blackwings, but the difference is as subtle as selecting Kalut to keep his monsters going with BW, over Gale. Its recognizing these subtle differences, that is the true skill in this game.

So granted Heavy Storm may be skilled in the way that puts the fear of overextension, but without Storm people can begin to realize why setting multiple cards is bad. The truely skilled wouldn't need Storm to punish their opponents, Storm in reality is just a crutch."

A huge Credit would also go to Jake for discussing and making great points about this idea for me.

Until Next Time,

E.P.B.

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati

Comments

Leave a Reply

Followers