SJC Indy Report and Video from Andrew

Posted on Saturday, August 22, 2009

Hey Andrew stepped up to the plate, and wrote a tournament report for SJC Indy (aka the one at Gen Con). He also got a deck profile on Mkohl40 youtube channel, so here are those.

SJC Indy report

So I never actually planned on going to Indy...but Thursday my friends had a cancellation so I said I would go. I have been playing Black Heroes for the past 4 weeks at my locals after I saw Zaki Said playing it at Nationals this year. I got a peak at his deck and built my own, interestingly enough it was 2 or 3 cards from his exact build.

So I pack, and Friday morning Jake picks me up, we pick Evan up, and then meet Anthony and I start driving down. The drive down was rather uneventful except we started singing Seether's "Careless Whisper" cover while listening to it on my ipod connected to the radio - a result of chronic boredom.

4 hours later we arrive at the hotel, we will call it FailLodge. Jake booked it on Travelocity, it was 15 minutes away and pretty cheap. So they won't let us check in until 3:00, we got there at 12:00...and we were confused because Jake called before and asked if we could check in early.

So we just decide to go the convention center. I drive there, we park about 5 blocks away for $10, and start walking down to the center. Once we get in, the line was relatively small. A 5 minute wait would be a good estimate. We all get 4 day badges, and head to the vendor hall for some sleeves. I pick up 2 White PCs. Then we go to the TCG hall and I resleeve my deck, meet up with Zaki, show him what I'm playing, we play, and I change my deck to his because I liked his better. I ran a Necro Garda where he ran a second Tomato.

Friday night we eat at Dennys which was right next to the FailLodge, FailLodge must've rubbed off on Dennys (more on this later). I get a Lumberjack Slam, and the waitress sucked. Then we head back to the hotel, and we discover that it is, in fact, fail. I end up sleeping on the floor the first night. I wake up at 4 not feeling so good, and I crawl my way to the bathroom. I say "****!!! I'm sorry guys..." and I turn the light on and I vomited...when I washed out my mouth and lay back down, Anthony retorted with "Denny's fail?" If I wasn't so tired I probably would've laughed at that.

Okay, now on to the matches...I can't remember a lot of the names. Sorry if I forgot your name :/

Round 1: Andrew Leffew Moore vs Lightsworn Guy #1
Game 1: I see he is playing Lightsworn, but he doesn't get Aurkus out on me and I am able to drop DAD and Dark Strike for game.
Game 2: I draw Crow and LIM with Solemn. He is shut down with LIM and Crow and can't come back.
1-0

Round 2: Andrew Leffew Moore vs Blackwings Guy #1
Game 1: He gets a game loss for having an illegal decklist. He had two torrentials in his deck and wrote down 39 cards on his decklist.
Game 2: I beat him down in a couple of turns after I Grepher for Plague with Double Mali, discarding one for Grepher's effect. Then drop Dark Strike for game. So glad that card is getting banned.
2-0

Round 3: Andrew Leffew Moore vs Lightsworn Guy #2
Game 1: He takes it pretty easy, I didn't draw so well due to me forgetting to pile shuffle.
Game 2: LIM shuts him down.
Game 3: It was really close, but in the end he pulled out of me having control.
2-1

Round 4: Andrew Leffew Moore vs Lightsworn Guy #3
Game 1: He T-Sets, and I'm like...Crush. I double Allure my double Shura, and dodge his CCV completely. Then I Crush him for his entire hand.
Game 2: I control with Armor Master and Colossal Fighter.
3-1

Round 5: Andrew Leffew Moore vs Lightsworn Guy #4
Game 1: He has amazing card advantage, but he fills up his field and I stall with double Krebons on the field along with a facedown Tomato.
Game 2: We go into time, we are both at 8000. Turn 2 of his time he Charges and hits a Wulf after he's already summoned. He gets a Ryko, and says "Go." I remind him of Wulf, but he forgot to attack and he already ended his turn. Lucky me. Turn 3, I really can't do anything except stop his attack with a Malicious and facedown Tomato. He sets Ryko after attacking my Malicious, and ends. I have a Destiny Draw in hand with a Mystic Tomato facedown that I had set. I draw Stratos. He has Wulf, and a facedown Ryko on the field with double Necro Gardna. I summon Stratos, get Plasma, D-Draw it away and draw Dark Armed. Plasma gave me my 3rd dark, sacking ftw? I dropped the Dark Armed off the table by mistake, picked it back up, and he was like "Wtf?" But the Judge was watching and I had two people behind me say they saw me draw it off of D-Draw so it was cool.
4-1

Round 6: Andrew Leffew Moore vs Levi Nissen (SalvoDAD)
Game 1: It goes back and forth, but he gets the upper hand and flips Return for game.
Game 2: I draw pretty well, and control the game pretty well.
Game 3: He has a Valley, and two backrow to my Shura and two facedown Solemns. He tries to mind control, but I solemn. I draw, summon Plaguespreader, synchro for Goyo. He thinks for a second, but then has no response. I drop DAD, he asks if I am using priority. I confirm that I am. I target one of his facedowns, which happens to be Torrential. He flips both Roar and Torrential, I ask which one is he chaining first, he says the Roar. I Solemn, and then the Torrential can't be chained. I'm left with Brain and Plasma in hand, with a Mali and Plague in the graveyard. I remove Mali to special, and then put Brain Control on top for Plaguespreader, syncho for Colossal, and blow up Valley and he concedes. Robbie Kohl was recording the last minute or so when I made that play so when he gives it to me I'll post it. Levi tells me he had game during game 2, but I had Crow in hand to shut him down.
5-1

Round 7: Andrew Leffew Moore vs Toni (Blackwings)
Game 1: I end up having Plasma on the field with his Colossal Fighter equipped to it. He synchros for Armor Master, and attacks, a misplay on his part. I inform him that Armor Master is negated. I take this game.
Game 2: Jerry Wang is watching from behind, and Toni has 3 backrow. I D-Draw my Diamond Dude into Heavy Storm and play it. Toni looks up at Jerry, and is like "He drew that off of Destiny Draw didn't he?" I nodded. He has a Bora on the field. I summon Sirocco, special summon Gale, Reborn his Kalut, pump Sirocco, half Bora, and attack for game.
6-1

Round 8: Andrew Leffew Moore vs Matt Hoey (SynchroCat)
Game 1: He drops Gorz on me early and I can't really get around it. He takes this one no problem.
Game 2: I draw trash, Double Nobleman, Dark Armed, Threatening Roar, and Goats, and Malicious I think. It was pretty bad. I end up scooping after like, two turns.
6-2

Round 9: Andrew Leffew Moore vs Charles Easton (Blackwings)
Game 1: I was repaired against Charles. I would've much rathered play the TeleDAD player I was paired up against first before the fire alarm went off. I'm sure I would've taken it. But Charles takes this one pretty easy after forcing me to overextend to keep field presence.
Game 2: He Kalut's his Shura when I attack, and then flips Deck Dev hitting a couple monsters. I scoop after a few turns.
6-3

So I ended up 6-3, 49th place. Oh well, I was happy with the decks performance. Zaki ended up dropping early on, but he was pretty excited to see me doing well with the deck.


Quote:
Monsters: 18
3 Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind
2 Blackwing - Shura the Blue Flame
2 Mystic Tomato
2 Krebons
2 Destiny Hero - Malicious
1 Elemental Hero Stratos
1 Destiny Hero - Diamond Dude
1 Destiny Hero - Plasma
1 Dark Armed Dragon
1 Dark Grepher
1 Plaguespreader Zombie
1 Sangan

Spells: 12
2 Allure of Darkness
2 Destiny Draw
1 Heavy Storm
1 Monster Reborn
1 Brain Control
1 Mind Control
1 Emergency Teleport
1 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 Scapegoat
1 Reinforcement of the Army

Traps: 10
3 Solemn Judgment
2 Threatening Roar
2 Bottomless Trap Hole
1 Mirror Force
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Crush Card Virus

Side Deck:
3 Light Imprisoning Mirror
2 Mirror of Oaths
2 Nobleman of Crossout
2 Blackwing - Sirroco the Dawn
2 D.D. Crow
2 Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer
1 My Body as a Shield
1 Dust Tornado

Extra Deck:
2 Blackwing Armor Master
2 Stardust Dragon
2 Colossal Fighter
2 Black Rose Dragon
1 Dark Strike Fighter
1 Arcanite Magician
1 Thought Ruler Archfiend
1 Red Dragon Archfiend
1 Magical Android
1 Goyo Guardian
1 Gaia Knight, the Force of Earth

Props:
Doing decent
The Champion sports bar
Jake
Anthony
Evan's cards
Playing "Name that Yu-Gi-Oh player" on the way back home
Destiny Hero - Plasma

Slops:
FailLodge
Anthony for failing
Jake for thinking Black Heroes are bad when they are good
Zaki failing
Dennys
Not having time for my duelist intervies with Paul Levitin, Roy St. Claire, Jeff Jones, and Dale Bellido.

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati

Comments

Leave a Reply

Followers